I was given the honour of sharing at this Gospel Jam 2017 in Leicester and what a beautiful showcase it was. My message was part of the drama production with the theme of the scene being ‘Only God Can’. Have a listen to my short word below and join in with the mass declaration towards the end of the video.
You can also read some of my sermon notes below. The Holy Spirit always has His way in the preparation of a sermon and the delivery. The two don’t always match word for word, but that’s the beautiful dynamic nature of our God. He ensures that the word is tailor made for the immediate listeners and beyond!
One of the greatest failures of the church is that we try to accomplish with human systems what only God can do. We rely on our own strength, our families and friends despite them people weak and unreliable in nature. We rely on our intellect to see us through, our charisma, charm, health and wealth to make things happen. But when these things fail, we realise that only God can:
- Make the impossible a reality (Matthew 19:26)
- Restore what was once lost (Deuteronomy 30)
- See you through to the promised land.
- Speak life to the dry bones in your life (the things you thought were dead and gone) (Ezekiel 37)
- Heal the brokenhearted (Luke 4:18)
- Call a sinner into Holiness through His death. (1 Peter 1:15)
- Love you the way he intended for you to receive love. (1 Corinthians 13)
- Only God can call the things that be not as though they are – and then give you that same creative power. (Romans 4:17)
Oftentimes what takes our focus away from what God can do for us is when we become fixated on what God has done or is doing for Sister A or Brother B. You supposedly want God to answer your prayer but secretly want the answer that your sister got. However, we serve a God who is about the individual and not the trend. He delights in you and not a copycat or a crowd.
When you desire the promise of what God can do, you must desire the journey too. The journey isn’t always cute, but it prepares you for the promise. It is in the journey that you know God to be your healer, restorer, provider, comforter, protector and Heavenly Father.
Only God can give you an abundant mindset that says ‘what God says is mine – is indeed mine’ versus a limited mindset that desires other people’s promises in your season.
In every season God is faithful.
Can God do anything? Yes, only God can!